Friday, May 23, 2014

I had a dream last night: I was in a fancy hotel preparing to see the Karmapa in an event. I came across my old co-worker, Raymond, whom was a Christian and also, a polite gentleman. We exchanged gratitudes. To my surprise, he wanted to see the Karmapa too. I offered to lead him the way to the monk. The dream ended here.

I thought about the dream this mornng. I've never seen the Karmapa in person. My abysmal achievement in Buddhism might not be a good reflection to share, not to mention to lead. I could only have offered to walk beside him to the monk if I have had the chance. Years ago, when I had a fall-out with a friend, I ridiculed at her pride of leading me to the God by abasing her demeanor, which was not what the religion taught. Many years later, I clearly see even my dream has this same pride. How could I abase the others?

Incidentally, I re-watched the HBO miniseries "The Pacific" tonight. To quote a line from the character:

"The jungle holds both beauty and terror in its depths, most terrible of which is man. We have met the enemy and have learned nothing more about him. I have, however, learned some things about myself. There are things men can do to one another that are sobering to the soul. It is one thing to reconcile these things with God, but another to square it with yourself."

No comments: